In early March the FAA announced that air traffic control towers at many smaller airports may be closed as a result of sequestration. Recently that news was followed with a listing and timeline of ATC towers that would be furloughed.
According to recent news reports,
the FAA has since delayed all closures until at least June 15, 2013.
While we wait to learn the fate of smaller, tower controlled airports, check out AOPA’s website for the latest updates and information about how to be prepared for tower closures in your area, like the article Tower’s closed. What now?
PALS Updates and Reminders
- REMINDER: The phone number for the PALS office has changed! The office number is now (631) 694-7257.
- Fuel Reimbursemt Courses: Both initial and recurrent courses, are now being offered via webinar by Mid Island Air Services!
- Fuel Reimbursement Rate Change: Eligible pilots will now be reimbursed at a rate of $.40 per mile for single engine and $.50 per mile for multi-engine operations. Click here for more info.
- Pilot Affirmation: Our Pilot Affirmation has been revised. Please be sure you are using the most up to date version of the affirmation which is available on the Pilot page of our website.
- Mission Paperwork: Don’t forget to submit all required mission documentation – consider this iPad app for ease in submitting signed documents!
- Pictures Pictures Pictures: photos and the use of social media help to raise awareness and bring new patients to PALS every day. And don’t forget our often unsung heroes – get photos of the FBO staff and line service crews that keep our missions running smoothly! Photos can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
PALS Petition to the FAA for use of donated aircraft
The proposed exemption, if granted, would have permitted PALS, a not-for-profit volunteer pilot organization, to use a donated aircraft for transporting patients and staff to appointments or meetings by PALS staff members and volunteer pilots without having to meet the requirements of part 119 and part 135.
The FAA reviewed this request and found that “a grant of exemption would not be in the public interest and would not provide an equivalent level of safety as that provided by the current regulations.”
The denial went on to say, “The humanitarian efforts of many individuals in the aviation community are laudable, yet the need to maintain the highest level of safety for commercial operations remains. Accordingly, the FAA believes that the interests of safety are best served by requiring operations conducted for compensation or hire to be conducted under parts 121 or 135.5”
If you would like to see the full denial, please contact our office
and request a copy to be emailed to you.
Join members of the PALS team at a fly-in event this Spring – bring a fellow pilot and introduce them to the amazing things happening at PALS.
Tweed New Haven Regional Airport (HVN)
9:00 am – 11:00 am, East Haven, CT
Perkiomen Valley Airport (N10)
11:00 am – 1:00 pm, Collegeville, PA
Epic Blue, Danbury Municipal Airport (DXR)
11:30 am – 3:00 pm, Danbury, CT
Butter Valley Golf Port (7N8)
9:00 am – 2:00 pm, Barto, PA
6.1.13, Doylestown Airport Open House
Doylestown Airport (DYL)
10:00 am – 3:00 pm, Doylestown, PA
6.15.13, Dutchess County Airport Open House
Dutchess County Airport (POU)
9:00 am – 3:00 pm, Poughkeepsie, NY
RSVPs are appreciated but not required
Contact, Pilot Coordinator, Jen Hotsko
at 516-640-7200 to RSVP for one of these events or to discuss having PALS participate in or host a fly-in event near you!
Step Up From Single to Twin
PALS Command Pilot, Doug Fields had an article published in the March 2013 issue of Aviation Safety Magazine. In the article, Doug recounts his experiences transitioning to twin-flying, some early adventures and challenges, and a few tips to help others interested in making the switch.
Fuel Reimbursement Courses
training, both initial and recurrent, is now available via webinar through Mid Island Air Services. Registration is currently open for April’s Courses.
Tuesday, April 23, 2013; 6:00 pm – 7:15 pm
Tuesday, April 30, 2013; 6:00 pm – 8:30 pm
To register for a fuel reimbursement course, contact Mid Island Air Services at 631-588-5400.
PALS Pilot Orientations
PALS pilot orientations are currently scheduled through early May. All orientations are done via webinar. Sign up today and join the PALS Command Pilot ranks!
Thursday, April 18, 2013; 7:30 PM
Wednesday, May 8, 2013; 7:30 PM
To register for an orientation or to discuss alternate orientation times, contact Pilot Coordinator, Jen Hotsko
Join us online!